Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Clinical Trials: Pathway to a Cure


One of the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation's roles is to fund the research that may someday produce a cure for CF. While people with CF and their loved ones wait for a cure, drug companies are hard at work learning more about the disease and looking for ways to manage the various aspects of it. Many people are unaware of the lengthy process of researching and approving medications. One of the ways to increase awareness of the disease and to educate others is to participate in clinical trials.

As the single largest sponsor of cystic fibrosis research, the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation aims to double the number of cystic fibrosis patients who enroll in clinical trials. To meet this goal, the CFF has set up a new section on their website where people can go to learn more about the clinical trials.

Personally, I have participated in a few different types of research. The experience taught me a lot about cystic fibrosis, particularly about how different medications worked and how my body fought off different infections. Once I had a better grasp of the disease, I felt more in control of it. I felt a sense of accomplishment knowing that I had played a small part in making progress toward a cure.


For more information about clinical trials, be sure to visit these sites:

Clinical Trials relating to Cystic Fibrosis, Currently Recruiting Participants
The National Institute of Health, Clinical Trials Info Page
Cystic Fibrosis Foundation pdf "I AM THE KEY"
Food and Drug Administration Info about Clinical Trials

No comments: